Monday, May 23, 2005

Filibuster cave-in

I won't write much about this because it is redundant of the rest of the blogosphere and it is too aggravating. I join in Patterico's pledge. Powerline has more.

In retrospect, our blogging prior to the cave-in was not as strong as it could have been. I did not discuss this issue much at all. Those who did mention it would have been better off focusing on one message - "NO DEAL!" - and aiming that message directly at the Republican "moderates." Hindsight is always 20/20. All I can do is apologize for my own failures and resolve to be more focused in future battles. We should always choose a simple message and aim it at the most important audience. [Easier said than done.]

A final thought: I wouldn't blame the Republican leadership or Bill Frist. He was probably hamstrung by the moderates in his own party. He probably didn't have the votes to end the filibuster. Blame McCain et al. The Republican leadership will be as victimized by this mess as the rest of us are.

  • People's Pottage - permalink
  • Economics in One Lesson - permalink
  • Why Johnny Can't Read- permalink
  • Locations of visitors to this page